Collected Short Stories
See below for list of individually published shorts.
‘The stories in The Way Out are warm yet chilling, barbed but sensuous, gruesome then tender, funny and wistful. In her fairytale-like accounts of men, women, children and arseholes, Jarrett serves up a platter of dilemmas, desires and disappointments – occasionally with a big dollop of mustard on the side. This is a collection full of style and control.’ Anneliese Mackintosh, author of Any Other Mouth
‘There is heart here… a very impressive collection’ Rodge Glass, author of Bring Me the Head of Ryan Giggs and LoveSexTravelMusik
A girl on a paper round gets more than she bargained for. A couple feels the strain when the money runs out. Life plays out in the bingo hall and at the bus stop. Welcome to a world of chip shops, offices, call centres and run-down homes. In this remarkable debut collection of stories from an acclaimed new voice, the lives of women at the margins are explored; people living on the edge of relationships, the economy and society. Jarrett’s unforgettable characters dream of escape from jobs, relationships and lives but, most of all, from the consequences of failure and success. The Way Out is heart-breaking, tender, devastatingly honest and brimming with black comedy.
Reviews for The Way Out
Individually Published/Broadcast Shorts
My short fiction has been shortlisted for prizes including the MacAllan Scotland on Sunday Short Story Competition, the Manchester Fiction Prize and the Bridport Prize. Here’s a list of my published and/or broadcast shorts. Some, but not all, of these appear in The Way Out.
- Schrodinger’s Hangover Published in Paper and Ink, February 2016.
- All the Little Things Published in Dactyl issue 3, August 2015.
- What Remains Published in Gutter magazine issue 13, Autumn 2015.
- The Mutable Light Published in The Rooftop Busker: New Writing Scotland 33, edited by Gerry Cambridge and Diana Hendry, the Association for Scottish Literary Studies, July 2015.
- The End of Everything Published in The Scotsman, 11th April 2015.
- Red Bus Broadcast on BBC Radio 4 Scottish Shorts, 13th Feb 2015.
- 10 Types of Mustard Published in The Grind issue IV in January 2015.
- Fitting and Her Feelings About Auckland Published by Structo magazine as a chapbook, December 2014.
- How to Not Get Eaten by Tigers Published in Firewords Quarterly, issue 2, August 2014.
- Bingo Wings Published in Gutter magazine issue 11, Autumn 2014
- Mezzanine Published in Gutter magazine issue 10, Spring 2014
- Human Testing Published in issue 3 of Valve Journal, November 2013.
- Kiss, me Published in issue 10 of Structo magazine, August 2013.
- Ladies’ Day Published in Gutter magazine issue 09, Autumn 2013. Subsequently also published in Best British Short Stories 2014, ed. Nicholas Royle, published by SALT.
- Loving the Alien I performed this one at the Edinburgh International Book Festival 2013 as part of the Edinburgh City of Literature Story Shop series of readings. You can listen to the first three minutes and read the whole story here.
- The Heart of a Pig Shortlisted for the Bridport Prize 2012 and published in Gutter magazine issue 08, Spring 2013.
- Always North Published in Gutter magazine issue 04, Spring 2011.
- The Summer Son Highly Commended in Frome Festival Short Story Competition and Broadcast on BBC Radio Somerset – 2010.
- White Pudding Supper Shortlisted for the Manchester Fiction Prize 2009. You can follow the link to read the story online from here: Manchester 2009 Shortlist
- The Miracle in the Windy Gowl Published in Days Like This, by Luath Press in association with the Scottish Book Trust – 2009
- The Lost City Broadcast on BBC Radio 4 Storyline program
- Mona Lisa with Chips Awarded second prize in the MacAllan/Scotland on Sunday short story competition. Broadcast on BBC Radio Scotland.